Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ryan Briscoe Goes The Distance

Congrats are in order to Ryan Briscoe for finishing the Kiawah Island Half-Marathon last Saturday in a time of one hour, 53 minutes, 39 seconds!

If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm a runner. A very fat, slow runner, but one nonetheless. I have a few marathons and half-marathons under my belt, so I take particular interest in the drivers and their workout routines, especially the guys who like to compete in running, cycling or triathlon events.

Many drivers run, and both Tony Kanaan and Vitor Meira are among those who have completed a half Ironman tri, which involves a 1.2-mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and 13.1-mile run. I've run a total of seven marathons, and even I think what they do is crazy.

Justin Wilson is a serious cyclist, and many other drivers compete in other endurance-type events as well. Many even use competing on that level as another outlet to raise money for charity, which is great too.

I have a lot of respect for their accomplishments, because I understand the time and commitment it takes to be able to get to the starting line. And then how getting to the finish line is a step even beyond that. It certainly isn't easy, but I'm sure they can attest to it being a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment