Thursday, January 12, 2012

If They Taught A "Racing History 101" Class...

...I found a couple of articles that would be required reading. In doing some research for a post about Gary Bettenhausen (that will appear tomorrow), I came across an excellent two-part series that appeared in the Los Angeles Times in May, 1991 that focused on the Bettenhausen and Vukovich families.

I love great writing, and it seems that with the demise of newspapers it becomes more difficult to find. Even though the pieces are long, they are worth the read as they discuss the triumphs and tragedies of at one time were people from two of America's more prominent racing families.

Part 1

and

Part 2

There are people who are fortunate enough to write (like me) and there are people who are true writers, like Mike Kupper, the man who did the storytelling here. I think it is cool to come across something like this and hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did.

2 comments: