Friday, May 11, 2012

Frenetic Friday -- A Social (Media Garage) Experiment

As those of you who have read my blog long enough know, I am a freelance sports writer in my spare time. Well, I shouldn't say "spare time" because I really don't have any -- since the freelancing helps pay the bills -- but you get my drift.

I've been writing about sports for 12 years, and not only is it a great gig, it's been the source of some very memorable experiences. I'm lucky, and I have no qualms admitting that. I got sent out to cover a high school softball game in May, 2000 and they have kept giving me assignments! But if I had a "bucket list", an event I have never covered but want to more than anything, the Indy 500 would be on the top of that list.

Next week I get that chance...sort of. 15 Days in May, along with several of your other favorite blogs (I'll let them tell you who they are) will be actively covering the events at the Speedway as part of the Social Media Garage. Located in MotoGP garages 34 and 35, the Social Media Garage will be open to everyone and is a chance for people to experience life at the track from a social media point of view.

I've been told there will be a lot of interactive things for fans to do, along with a live TV and Twitter feed. It sounds like it should be fun. Our job is to bring you a little more of an unfiltered view of the festivities, stuff you may not see in mainstream media, and from the looks of it we will have an unlimited amount of access.

So beginning next Friday afternoon, all the way through the end of Bump Day, keep checking back here as I will be live blogging, posting features (a few drivers have agreed to be generous with their time and come and talk to us) as well as providing very, very amateur bits of photos and video.

I will also be very active on Twitter (@15daysinmay) as well as on my new 15DIM Facebook page. So make sure you check back all weekend, not only to this spot but the sites of my fellow bloggers as well. I think we will give you guys a lot of great stuff!

1 comment: